The AEA KU4 celebrates the legendary RCA unidirectional KU3A, a high sensitivity microphone designed for the Hollywood movie studios. Also known as a M-10001 for its manufacturing number, it was RCA’s most expensive ribbon microphone. Fewer than 600 were ever manufactured.
What made the KU3A special? It combined the smooth ribbon sound of a 44 with a unidirectional pattern, a wide sweet spot and less proximity bass boost. It expanded an engineer’s range of placement choices and became a standard at film studios around the world.
Although condenser mics became the new standard by the end of the 1960s, ribbon mics are still appreciated today by experienced music recording engineers. However the KU3A is a rare microphone, a collector’s item, and few studios or rental houses own them. Opportunities to work with a good KU3A are limited.
We are proud to expand your opportunities with the AEA KU4 featuring an RCA ribbon, interchangeable KU3A parts and consistent performance.
• Contemporary realization of the RCA KU3A classic
• Supercardioid pattern for excellent rear rejection
• Reduced proximity effect
• Smooth, high-bandwidth frequency response
• Authentic New Old Stock RCA ribbon material
• High-quality anodized & nickel-plated finish
• Custom AEA transformer, neodymium magnets
• Consistent Quality
• Field-tech replaceable ribbon assembly
• Hand-crafted in Pasadena, California
How is the KU4 different from other ribbon microphones?
The KU4’s suppressed rear lobe is useful when the back of a figure-of-eight would pick up undesirable sounds. The KU4’s reduced proximity bass boost facilitates closer micing and its low-tuned ribbon delivers solid, undistorted bass. These characteristics make the KU4 well suited for modern studio production.