The Empirical Labs Fatso EL7x adds even more sonic goodness to the original Fatso analog tape simulator. This version of the Fatso packs a new compressor model based on the classic Urei 1176LN, plus an improved interface, more stereo link functions, and cooler operating temperature. Whether you’re tracking drums, creating electronic music, or finalizing a full mix, you’ll soon be addicted to adding smooth analog saturation and compression to your tracks with the Empirical Labs Fatso EL7x analog tape simulator.
Empirical Labs Fatso EL7x Analog Tape Simulator and Compressor at a Glance:
• Add harmonic richness to your audio with four different processing modes
• “Eleven” compressor setting emulates the classic 1176LN
• Updated design lowers the noise floor, and the operating temperature
Add harmonic richness to your audio with four different processing modes
Engineers worldwide love the Fatso for adding analog tape vibe to warm up digital tracks, and you’ve got a lot of sonic flexibility with the Fatso EL7x. The Harmonic Generation and Soft Clipper modes use a Class A circuit to gently round-off the peaks of your audio, just like saturated tubes or tape would. The High Frequency Saturation mode employs a clever dynamic high-cut filter, which reduces HF energy only when it piles up beyond a certain point.
“Eleven” compressor setting emulates the classic 1176LN
While it doesn’t give you extensive parameter control like a dedicated compressor does, the Fatso EL7x’s compressor modes give you smooth dynamics and undeniable character that you’ll want to use on every track. This updated Fatso includes the “Eleven” compressor mode, with a slow attack, fast release, and high ratio that nail the sound of the classic Urei 1176LN.
Updated design lowers the noise floor, and the operating temperature
The sonic gurus at Empirical Labs knew that the original Fatso ran just a bit warm, so they set out to find a way to cool things down with the Fatso EL7x. Long story short, a happy side effect of the re-design is that the current draw dropped over 20 percent, which considerably lowered the noise floor. You still get the awesome sound that made the Fatso a worldwide hit, just lower noise and less heat in your rack.
• Add the richness, depth, and harmonic enhancement of analog tape to your audio
• Ideal for smoothing harsh high frequencies, adding depth and body, controlling dynamics, and more
• Updated “Eleven” compressor mode is based on the Urei 1176LN with slow attack, fast release, and high ratio
• Works magic on stereo buses and full mixes, but it’s also perfect for tracking
• Processing modes include Harmonic Generation and Soft Clipping, High Frequency Saturation, Transformer/Tape Head Emulation, and Classic Knee Compression