The MA5 was created to fill the need for a high-quality microphone preamplifier with the characteristic sound of early ‘70s British Class-A consoles. The re-engineering in the creation of the MA5 stemmed from years of experience restoring both American and British modules, deeply rooted in classic transformer-balanced, discrete electronics. Only the best and most suitable components are used throughout, regardless of cost, to attain the best sound.
The MA5’s full and open sound with harmonic richness, particularly in the very low frequencies- even down to, and below, 10Hz. The clear mids and smooth highs come through without sounding dull or smeared.
Today, after 12 years of production, we are happy to say there are many MA5’s used all over the world, from home studios to large commercial studios, and by other pro-audio professionals everywhere.
- Standard 500 series modular size 1.5″ x 5.25″
- Direct coupled, single-ended Class A amplifier
- UK-made Carnhill/St Ives input transformer
- Custom-designed Jensen output transformer
- Stepped-gain rotary switch in 5dB steps
- Output level pot for trim and mute
- LED-lit push-buttons
- 28kHz feature brings out high frequency detail
- Custom-made Marconi-style knobs
- High headroom & CMR and low noise design
- Units are thoroughly tested and perfectly matched in level and sound
- 12 years in production
- Time-tested ultra reliable quality circuit design
- Made in California, USA